During the holy month of Shravan, hundreds of red threads are tied to connect the domes of the Baidyanath Dham Temple and the Maa Parvati temple. This ceremony is known as the Gath Bandhan and can be performed by devotees. Devotees offer the threads which are tied by a person who climbs to the top of the Baidyanath temple dome (Panchsul).
Pandas chant slokas and then Bhandaris (members of a local tribal community) climb the domes of the temples and tie the sacred threads. This is a powerful ritual which has great benefits for the lives of devotees.
BENEFITS OF GATH BANDHAN:
- Devotee couples can gain a happy and prosperous married life.
- Familial harmony increases significantly.
- This ceremony gives the devotees protection from serious diseases and ailments.
- Young women who are looking for the ideal life partner can gain so by performing this ritual.
- It reduces the negative effects of planets such as Shani on one’s life.
CHARGES INCLUDE :
- Dakshina for priests
- Dakshina for Bhandaris who perform the Gath Bandhan
- Cost of offering the sacred thread.
- Cost of performing pooja in the devotee’s name.