Mercury in Vedic Mythology
Maharshi Brihaspati was the ‘Guru’ of the Moon. Jupiter’s wife Tara was fascinated by the beauty of the Moon and fell in love with him. After that, she also cohabited with the Moon and left Jupiter. When Brihaspati asked ‘Tara’ to come back, she refused to return, due to which Brihaspati got angry. Then a war started between Brihaspati and his disciple Chandra.
In this battle, the demon Guru Shukracharya turned towards the moon and other gods accompanied Jupiter. As this war was done by the desire of Tara, hence it was called Tarakamyam. Due to this huge war, the creator Brahma was afraid that it might engulf the entire creation, so he intervened and tried to resolve the animosity between Guru and Chandra. After persuading Tara, he took her back and handed it over to Brihaspati. In the meantime, a beautiful son was born to Tara who was called ‘Budha’. Both Chandra and Brihaspati began to describe it as their own and began to call themselves its father, although Tara remained silent.
Disturbed and angry with the silence of the mother, Mercury himself asked the mother to tell the truth. Then tara revealed that lord Chandra is his real father. However, Mercury received education under the guidance of Brihaspati and thus became extremely knowledgeable. He was so intelligent that Brhmaji named him ‘Budh’.That is why Mercury is the significator of intellect. As Jupiter was his stepfather, mercury and Jupiter are enemies to each other. Chandra being the father of mercury loves mercury but the reverse is not true. Mercury does not like the moon.
Mercury in Vedic Astrology
The Planet Mercury has its dimension in astrology. In Vedic astrology, Mercury has also been considered the significator of speech and communication. In Hindu astrology, the planet Mercury is considered to be the significator of intelligence, logic, and friendship. According to astrology, Sun and Venus are friends of Mercury while Moon and Mars are its enemy planets. It is lord of Gemini and Virgo zodiac signs. Among constellations, it has the lordship of Ashlesha, Jyestha, and Revati.
Effect of afflicted Mercury
- Weak Mercury in the horoscope makes the native hesitant.
- He has trouble keeping his word and unable to control his speech.
- His work gets spoiled due to speech.
- the person may have to face problems physically and mentally. He may face depression issues.
- As Mercury is the significator of Skin, natives may suffer from severe skin issues.
- Mercury being the representation of all three tatwas, Vatta, pit, and Kapha, the diseases caused by mercury are very complex and difficult to get cured.
Vedic Mantra of Mercury and Benefits
ॐ उद्बुध्यस्वाग्ने प्रतिजागृहि त्वमिष्टापूर्ते स सृजेथामयं च ।
अस्मिन्त्सधस्थे अध्युत्तरस्मिन्विश्वे देवा यजमानश्च सीदत ।।
Om Udbadhyaswagne Pratijaghi Twamishtapurte Sa Sajethamya Cha;
Asmintsdhsthe Adhyutatsmivanishwe Deva Yajmanshacha Seedat.
- By chanting this Mantra both body and mind are purified.
- Very helpful in achieving success in studies.
- Helps in improving concentration of children
- Strengthens our nervous system, hence problem of depression, anxiety gets resolved
- In case Mercury is at ‘maraka’ position in the horoscope, chanting can help in reducing suffering.
- 9000 No of Mantra to be chanted as per sage Parasara.