Tulsi Puja, also known as Tulsi Vivah is the ceremonial marriage of the Tulsi plant (holy basil) to the Hindu God Vishnu or his Avatar Krishna. In 2019, it will be celebrated on Saturday, 9th of November which will also mark the beginning of Holy Wedding season of Hindus. This holy ceremony is performed anytime between the Prabodhini Ekadashi and the Karthik Purnima in the month of Karthik.
BENEFITS OF TULSI PUJA
- Every part of tulsi from leaf, bark, root, branch and trunk is believed to be divine. Applying the paste of tulsi wood to the deity of Krishna is considered to be the easiest way to impress the lord.
- Worshipping lord Krishna with a tulsi equals using 100 variety of flowers as promised by the lord to tulsi devi.
- Having a tulsi at home or just experiencing the presence of tulsi near home will get away all the sins including the sin of killing a Brahmin.
- Medical science says that tulsi comes with a medicinal quality and has an application in most of the advanced medicine. Tulsi puja is a way of expressing our tribute to the holy plant for bestowing our life with all goodness.
- Tulsi is the dearest to Lord Krishna and considered to be the precious among all the plants and flowers.
- The month of Karthik is all about lights and life. In this auspicious time, the mother tulsi visit every home to bless us and so every home gets ready to welcome her in the form of tulsi puja.
SIGNIFICANCE OF TULSI VIVAH
- The belief is that those who perform Tulsi Vivah ceremony giving away Tulsi considering them to be one’s daughters get the credit of Kanyadan which is an auspicious act in Hindu religion.
- Tulsi plant can help to vanish all the Architectural defects in a house. For Hindus, Tulsi is the most sacred plant.
- Puja offerings are considered incomplete without the Tulsi leaf. It also symbolizes Goddess Lakshmi, the consort of Lord Vishnu. Women seek blessings for happy married life.
- The Tulsi leaf has great medicinal value as it cures various ailments, including the common cold. Performing one or four Parikramas of the plant removes the evil effects of the sins.